Sunday, February 7, 2010

Song A Day 2010: Superbowl Weekend

On Friday I had to work from home until midnight, so I didn't have a chance to write and record anything. Went to bed feeling bitter.

On Saturday, wrote and recorded tracks for two songs, but neither is completed. I figured that I might as well go for some production on these songs.

I Am Serious:

Wrote the tune on BART the previous day and wrote the lyrics today. It's a snappy-paced pop song.

REcorded two acoustic guitars, a bunch of vocals and bass. The bass recording was cool. I didn't have time to set up the SVT and struggle with getting a usable sound, so I just plugged the bass into a 1964 Fender Bassman and a 2x12 guitar cab loaded with Scumbacks. After a bit of experimentation, I came up with this setup:

Used the bridge pickup on the Rickenbacher and used my palm to mute. The real surprise was how quickly I could dial in a good bass sound in the room:

Used the guitar channel (it's brighter than the bass channel) with the bright switch on, treble maxed out on 10, and the bass rolled almost completely off. Hard to believe, but coupled with the bass DI signal, it gives a cool plinky sound with good low end. If I dialed in a touch more of bass on the amp, I could probably get a nice, fat tone as well. Mic'd with the 414 about 2 ft away, aimed at the center cone of the top speaker.

Where is My Cool:

The melody has been floating around in my head since Song A Day 2008, but I never took the time to develop into a complete song. I cranked out the lyrics in a stream-of-consciousness manner and dived into the recording. The ending section sounds jarring to me. Given time, I'd re-write it. But this is Song A Day, where it's all about capturing the first ideas for a song. The rest of the year can be devoted to refining the rough sketches.

Recorded 2 acoustic guitars, piano and a lot of vocals. There's a lot more work to do on this one, but I'm happy with the way it's turning out.

No comments: