Monday, February 8, 2010

Song A Day 2010: Superbowl Weekend Part II

Finished two songs: I Am Serious and Where Is My Cool

Used the Shure SM81 as overhead on the drums, with a 414 aimed below below the snare, an AKG D112 on the kick and a Sennheiser MD421 on the floor tom.

For the bass tracks, I plugged the Rickenbacker 4003 into a '64 Fender Bassman. I used a guitar cab for I Am Serious, which sounded interesting. I tried it again for Where Is My Cool, but it developed a rattle mid-way through recording, so I switched to the Ampeg 4x10 cab. Used DI + 414 for both recordings.

Guitars were through a Dan Electro stomp box EQ to add some midrange and into the Fender Bassman, again recorded using the 414.

I had problems with the vocal sounds on Where Is My Cool. For some reason, they came out muddy and midrange-heavy, almsost as if I had sung through a cardboard tube. I didn't see too close to the mic, so it's puzzling. Attempts to repair using EQ proved fruitless. Maybe I shouldn't sing from the desktop chair. Bad resonances in that area perhaps?

No comments: